Several weeks ago, I visited the Bargain Food Store in Pelzer, SC.
The Bargain Food Store was a lot larger than I was expecting. Going inside was slightly reminiscent of a trip to Sams Club or another large warehouse. (However, I also felt like I’d stepped into a different culture (though our living in our neighborhood is similar).) It was relatively crowded for a weekday morning and noisy, and there was a lot of store to navigate. (I waited a while for everyone to get out of this picture!)
If you’re familiar with the Sav-Mor sidewalk sale, you will probably recognize a few of the items as things you’ve seen there. I’m guessing that the Bargain Food Store gets a lot of their stock from dated items and items that don’t fare so well in normal grocery stores.
Best deals I got:
- Cheese: $4.99 for a 5lb. bag–that’s $1/lb!
- Yogurt: $3.00 for a case of 12 6oz. Yoplait cups ($.25 cents each)
- Of course, it was probably so low because the flavors were guava or pineapple, but I absolutely loved the guava!
- TrueLime bottle for $.50 (I LOVE this stuff, and wish I’d gotten more)
- Bananas: over 3 lb. for 99 cents
Other deals I saw:
- Milk was $2.99/gallon
- lots of large bags of cake mixes for under $3.00
- meat in large bulk
I also noted:
- Produce did not seem to be an exceptional deal, except for bananas.
It is a good 30 minutes from downtown Greenville, but if you have a freezer and storage space it may be worth the drive. You can get directions here. If you’re in the main Greenville city area, I recommend going when there’s a sale on at Food Lion so you can combine trips. I’m curious as to whether or not anyone else has been here?
Spotlight on Savings is a feature I hope to do that highlights potential savings at lesser known stores in the area. Stay tuned for more!.